Somehow in all my pictures of this cake, I couldn’t find one that showed the inside – so I made this today, just so you can see how dark and lovely it is!
I made this for my sister’s birthday, years and years ago! 🙂
I made this while I was the pastry chef at the Summer House on Nantucket Island. It was a birthday cake for triplets.
This is my best friend and I decorating cupcakes the day before my wedding. Of course she was decorating a pumpkin cupcake at the time, but I was eating a chocolate one! 🙂
Ernie and I cutting chocolate cupcakes on our wedding day!
- 2 cups cassava flour or gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa (Hershey's Special Dark makes a lovely cake)
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup hot coffee
- 2 eggs or 2 flax eggs (2.5 Tbs. of ground flax mixed with 1/3 cup water)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare 2 (8") pans, or 1 (13x9") pan by greasing and lining with parchment. Or line 24 cupcake tins with papers.
- Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Stir in oil, milk, and coffee. Stir in eggs and vanilla.
- Beat well.
- Pour into prepared pans. Bake for appropriate time considering size of pan. 25-40 minutes ish. It should spring when you touch it gently.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before you flip onto a rack. Let cool.
- This is a super tender cake. I recommend that you freeze it before you ice it.