I have been gluten and dairy free for years. And generally speaking, I can tell you that I don’t miss them. I have plenty to eat and I love my food. Until it comes to pizza. Your average gluten and dairy free pizza is just not that exciting.
So I came up with this recipe! The plantain crust is my classic plantain wraps recipe that I have been making for years. Flip it over and put toppings on it. The cheese is adapted from the Medical Medium’s cashew cheese sauce recipe here. (This recipe is amazing! Try it!) The cheese sauce may seem too thin, but it will solidify during the second bake and becomes toasty and custardy at the same time. While it isn’t stringy, it is creamy, dairy-like and Soooo delicious!
You will have extra cheese sauce! In fact, you will probably have enough for two pizzas. You can make two pizzas, or you can use it on baked potatoes, pasta, whatever you want. You can also make a half recipe, but I find it works better in the blender with this amount.
As far as the toppings, they are up to you!
You will need this recipe for the plantain crust. You can spread the plantain paste as thin as you want – be sure to have parchment paper on hand. After the first bake, the crust is sticky on the bottom and dry on the top. You flip it so the dry side is on the bottom.
- ~1 recipe plantain crust (see above)
- ~Your favorite marinara sauce
- ~Cheese Sauce: (you will have extra! See above)
- 2 cups cashews
- 2 Tbs. lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 date
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Assorted chopped veggies tossed in olive oil and sea salt - onion, garlic, pepper, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, zucchini...
- As desired, pepperoni, etc...
- Make a recipe of plantain crust and spread on a half sheet pan lined with parchment. (You want it spread fairly thin.)
- Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. When it comes out of the oven, flip onto fresh parchment so the sticky side is up.
- Spread your favorite marinara sauce over it.
- Puree all of the cheese sauce ingredients in a blender until silky smooth. Pour as much as you want over the pizza. (You will have extra cheese sauce!)
- Toss chopped veggies with a minimal amount of olive oil and sea salt. Toss over cheese sauce.
- Turn the oven up to 425 and bake until the veggies and cheese sauce are roasted. About 20 more minutes. (The moisture content of the veggies dictate the time.)
- Let cool for 5 minutes and enjoy!